Re: LANG: Text in VRML

Len Wanger (lrw@SDSC.EDU)
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 14:19:14 -0800 (PST)

I disagree with the proposals to do all text through texture mapping.
Lots of hardware does not support fast rendering off textures. also,
there are applications where I really do want 3D text.

There is an excellent set of fonts available in the Dore package (which
was just put into the public domain). It contains polygonal
representations of several fonts including serif and sans serif, bold
text, mathematical and musical symbols, etc. Leveraging this would give
a common polygonally based set of fonts for all viewers. Anyone
interested in using a different fonts could provide their own either by
creating a new font in the format or by providing text as polygons
geometry for an object, but having the basic capability available is
very important.

Another text feature that I think is important is to support annotation text.
Annotation text is text that is drawn legibly (i.e. left to right and
rightside up) regardless of the camera and viewing transforms. This is
very useful for examples such as axis on graphs.

Len Wanger -- LRW@SDSC.EDU
Project Sequoia 2000
San Diego Supercomputer Center