Re: PHIL: Why no text in VRML???

Andrew C. Esh (andrewes@cnt.com)
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 13:09:45 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 24 Feb 1995, Scott Nelson wrote:

> A font is a good idea. I'd propose a simple 2D font based
> on some simple base font. If the user wants anything more
> complex, then they can build it themselves. I'd like to
> avoid the whole FONTS issue with VRML.
>
> I'd suggest looking at how PovRAY creates their font libraries
> and just use one of the 2D constructs as the "default" font. Or
> we could use the same method that Inventor uses???

Until this point, I didn't remember this discussion either, but now I do.
I seem to remember someone suggesting that text can't be viewed from
behind, and so has no place in a 3D environment. I'm not sure how much of
this was talked about publicly, or is just my thinking in reaction to
what I read, but I'm sure some sort of discussion on this occurred. It
was about two months ago.

My idea is: Just create 3D signs with 2D text on them.

If Gutenberg and his stupid printing press had never got us sidetracked
into printing everything on paper, we'd have never adopted the 2D
approach we now have. :)

---
Andrew C. Esh                 mailto:andrew_esh@cnt.com
Computer Network Technology   andrewes@mtn.org (finger for PGP key)
6500 Wedgwood Rood            612.550.8000 (main)
Maple Grove MN 55311          612.550.8229 (direct)
<A HREF="http://www.mtn.org/~andrewes">ACE Home Page</A>