Re[4]: proposed new Media Type application/iges

Alan Peltzman (peltzmaa@CC.IMS.DISA.MIL)
Wed, 22 Mar 95 13:41:37 EST

IGES Colleagues:

as a new MIME type then it seems to make a great deal
of sense to register IGES as a 3-D MIME type.

However, if the 3-D proposal does not pass, then
we can take the fall-back position of registering
IGES as an "image" type. I think it is essential
that IGES be put in the category that most closely
fits its functionality.

I would be very encouraged if 3-D become a MIME type.
Then IGES, VRDL (Virtual Reality Display Language),
PHIGS, and ISO 10303-Part 42 could be appropriately
registered in this category.

It would be unfortunate if IGES were to be put in
a "legacy" MIME type category (like "image" or "application")
just prior to 3-D going online. I would like to see if
3-D passes as a MIME type before we commit ourselves
to putting IGES in an inappropriate category.

- Alan