Re: VRML issues

Kevin Goldsmith (kmg@monk.colossal.com)
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 15:28:09 -0700

Ok, I'll try an example to show what I mean:

I'm flying over a landscape. This landscape has buildings and
mountains, etc... each located at a different place on the net. Now, let's say
that we have a really smart culling and level of detail algorithm, so that I
don't even try to see things too far away from me, and I see the things close
to me in not much detail (say, cubes) until I get closer. Well, for each
"frame" I see (and VR isn't worth it at less than 10-15 frames per second). I
have to look up on a remote map (I won't have my own map, because it is likely
to change too often) to find out what I can see, cull out the things I can't
see and then grab descriptions of areas off the net as I get closer to them.
Let's even say that my system is smarter than that, so it only grabs a little
bit per frame (only one building or mountain). This is still not a minor
amount of data grabbing per frame given the fact that I might be on a powerbook
100 running a slip-line over modem at 14.4 to netcom. Even on a 4 processor
Onyx Reality Engine 2, I would not get 30 fps, due to the network lag.

The powerbook is the actual setup I have at home, and it works fine for
mosaic, so I expect it should be just as fine for vrml.

Kevin