Re: Dynamic HTML documents with client pull

Fisher Mark (FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com)
Fri, 28 Apr 1995 09:30:26 +0500

Joerg Rhiemeier writes in <199504281049.MAA03204@kastor.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>:
>I am pretty sure that this is Netsc[r]ape-spectific. I haven't found it
>in the IETF HTTP drafts, and I have to agree with Ulf Kronman that such a
>behaviour is evil, rude and nasty.
>
>This means that Netscrape does not only add shitty extensions to their
>browser, but also to their *server* which is much, much worse!

What Netscape needs to add is an option whereby dynamic documents are
normally turned off, but the browser can (again optionally) ask the user,
"This is a dynamic document. Dynamic document support is disabled.
Re-enable for this document? (y/n)". There are whole classes of
applications that could be implemented with this; unfortunately,
"TV/radio-like advertising" is one of them. This option is needed *NOW* to
reduce the chance that the Web will turn into another radio or TV. (Yeah, I
know I work in the TV biz; TV is fine for what it is, but the Web has
potential that TV, due to limitations in technology and the political
structure, will never have.) This message has been forwarded to Netscape
Communications Corp.
Mark Fisher Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@indy.tce.com Indianapolis, IN

"Just as you should not underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon
traveling 65 mph filled with 8mm tapes, you should not overestimate
the bandwidth of FTP by mail."