Re: Web server name?

Robert Robbins (rrobbins@gdb.org)
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 14:03:35 +0100

On Fri, 20 Jan 1995, Nick Arnett wrote:

> Thus, it's occurred to us that we'd like to see a way to ask a server
> "What's your name?" and get back something like "Verity Corporate
> Information."
>
> Is anyone else thinking about this? Shall we just forge ahead and make a
> proposal for a way to implement this? I'm thinking that perhaps it should
> be an element in the header of the default document. Ideas?

I think it is an excellent idea, especially if it were expanded to include
the concepts of short_name (e.g., Widget Works Info Service) and long_name
(e.g., Widget Works Info Service/newline 123 Widget Works Drive/newline
Palo Alto, CA 94505/newline 415 765 4321/newline).

A more general extension to the idea might result from asking, do WWW
servers and doucments need something akin to the CIP (cataloguing in
publication) data that now occurs in nearly all published books. As WWW
servers and users proliferate, the need for improved value-added
classification schemes will also proliferate.