Re: Web and Notes

Robert Robbins (rrobbins@gdb.org)
Sat, 3 Sep 1994 14:49:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 3 Sep 1994, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> The mind boggles at the idea of what could be accomplished if a quarter
> of the effort spent on behemoth corporate software was instead directed
> at WWW development.

Since the "effort spent on behemoth corporate software" is probably at the
annual level of several billions of dollars, collectively, minds should
boggle at what could be effected should 25% be directed towards improving
some particular public project.

However, let me point out that I am full agreement with Brian Behlendorf's
apparent assumption that the redirection of some significant amount of
resources towards coordinated improvements in WWW technology is generally
a very good idea.

Is anybody able (willing) to offer some notions as to what sorts of
significant advances might be obtained with an influx of support
(especially those that are not likely to occur without such support) and
also, perhaps, provide some rough estimates as to what might be done with
what level of new support?