Re: Web and Notes

Brian Behlendorf (brian@wired.com)
Fri, 2 Sep 1994 14:49:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 2 Sep 1994, George W. Earle x4525 wrote:
> I would like to see more information about this subject. I have
> a very keen interest in any integration between the two. My
> particular reasons are:

My personal opinion is that, if development efforts go correctly, WWW
software and applications will make Notes a dinosaur.

> * Notes will be used for our internal Corporate workgroup library,
> as our bulletin board, for workflow apps and for point applications.

As soon as public/group annotation comes back (and some of us aren't
waiting for it to be implemented directly) then Notes as an interface for
bulletin boards will be unnecessary. I'm not sure what "point"
applications are...

> * The Web and Mosaic is our potential external, electronic interface
> to our customers and the public.
>
> * Combining the two would be very powerfull as we hopefully would not
> have to reproduce the same information twice for different information
> systems.

So don't reproduce it.

We tried giving Notes a spin here - bought an OS/2 box for it and spent 6
days of valuable sysadmin time installing it. Once up, the Mac clients
were constantly crashing and had huge memory requirements. I have a
deep admiration for places that actually got it installed and use it - we
don't.

The mind boggles at the idea of what could be accomplished if a quarter
of the effort spent on behemoth corporate software was instead directed
at WWW development.

Brian