Re: HTML+ Form and Submit

Dave_Raggett (dsr@hplb.hpl.hp.com)
Wed, 3 Nov 93 16:11:00 GMT

Charles Henrich writes:

> Okay Ive thought about it awhile, and also based on what others have
> suggested I think we should add a SUBMIT option to the input tag, as well as
> a &submit= to the form query. For example, if you have 2 images on screen,
> and you want a click on only one of them to cause a submit, or an entry in a
> text field to cause a submit it would look like:

> <input name="image1" type=image src="image1.gif">
> <input name="image2" type=image src="image2.gif" SUBMIT>
> <input name="text" SUBMIT>

Well, this was my original suggestion, but it would cause problems:

o users confused by unexpected and slow network access

o just how should browsers decide when to submit for
text and numeric fields (easy for radio buttons)?

The explicit submit button avoids these issues. A possible middle course
is to add a simple constraint language for forms, but this will have to
wait until we have more experience ...

Dave