Re: Getting searching to work

Tim Berners-Lee (timbl@www3.cern.ch)
Thu, 28 Jan 93 09:08:35 +0100

> Date: Wed, 27 Jan 93 11:20:45 CST
> From: Dan Connolly <connolly@pixel.convex.com>
>

> I just wanted to take the opportunity to point out once again
> that the <ISINDEX> strategy for marking up searchable documents
> is less than optimal.
>

> Inline "search this anchor" elements are preferable, at least
> to me.

OK, Dan, I see you aren't going to give up on this one :-). As
we want to be able to map Gopher modes effectively too, how about
using a link type:

<dl>
[etc]
texts for
a name or keyword
</dl>

The "SEARCH" relationship is a presentation instruction a bit like
"EMBED" or "PRESENT". It means, "Don't just jump to this, search it
immediately". A nice thing about it is that if the browser doesn't
understand it, then it will still work, just not be presented in the
way the author had intended.

What do you think?

> Dan

Tim