Re: Seriffed and sans-serif fonts?

Brian Behlendorf (brian@organic.com)
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 20:45:13 +0500

On Wed, 19 Apr 1995, Philippe-Andre Prindeville wrote:
> I've been thinking about another HTML related issue in a project
> we are working on here... We need to control whether some text
> (which is heavily annotated) is rendered in seriffed or sans-serif
> fonts. Why? Simple.
>
> Examples of usage of text and idioms are given in seriffed fonts.
>
> Comments on the utilisation and the parts of speech, ie. the
> annotation itself, needs to be rendered in a sans-serif font.
> It doesn't really matter which: universe, avant-garde, helvetica,
> geneva, etc.
>
> So, we have the notions of "text" and "meta-text", ie. text on
> the text itself. Bold and italic aren't sufficient for denoting
> the difference. The meta-text itself can in turn be <strong> or
> <em>...
>
> Can we introduce a new mechanism? <ss> (for sans-serif)?

Instead, let's do this:

-----

<HEAD>
<TITLE>My Document</TITLE>
<STYLE notation=experimental>
..
samp.font = sans-serif
..
</STYLE>
</HEAD>

And now we have some <SAMP>idioms</SAMP>.

-----

Look at http://www.hpl.hp.co.uk/people/dsr/html/logical.html and decide,
if <SAMP> isn't quite the one you want which one is. If you can't decide
and want a few more choices, take the HTML 3.0 DTD and modify it to allow
your own semantic tags (as long as you make sure the only thing you label
as text/html when you dish these files out is really HTML).

Own your data!

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/