Re: Seriffed and sans-serif fonts?

Brian Behlendorf (
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 20:45:13 +0500

On Wed, 19 Apr 1995, Philippe-Andre Prindeville wrote:
> I've been thinking about another HTML related issue in a project
> we are working on here... We need to control whether some text
> (which is heavily annotated) is rendered in seriffed or sans-serif
> fonts. Why? Simple.
> Examples of usage of text and idioms are given in seriffed fonts.
> Comments on the utilisation and the parts of speech, ie. the
> annotation itself, needs to be rendered in a sans-serif font.
> It doesn't really matter which: universe, avant-garde, helvetica,
> geneva, etc.
> So, we have the notions of "text" and "meta-text", ie. text on
> the text itself. Bold and italic aren't sufficient for denoting
> the difference. The meta-text itself can in turn be <strong> or
> <em>...
> Can we introduce a new mechanism? <ss> (for sans-serif)?

Instead, let's do this:

<TITLE>My Document</TITLE>
<STYLE notation=experimental>
samp.font = sans-serif

And now we have some <SAMP>idioms</SAMP>.

Look at and decide,
if <SAMP> isn't quite the one you want which one is. If you can't decide
and want a few more choices, take the HTML 3.0 DTD and modify it to allow
your own semantic tags (as long as you make sure the only thing you label
as text/html when you dish these files out is really HTML).

Own your data!