Re: Captions for Figures and Tables

Tony Jebson (
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 07:20:28 +0500

I wrote:
> <!ELEMENT CAPTION - - (%text;)+ -- table or figure caption -->
> This precludes things like:
> <caption><h1>A Large Caption</h1></caption>
> Should this be allowed? or should this wait until style sheets? e.g.
> <caption class=bigcaps>A Large Caption</caption>

Dave Raggett replied:
> I would much prefer the latter.

Even though I raised the original query, after thinking about it I also
prefer the style sheet solution.

The only thing about the style sheet solution that worries me is that
I suspect a lot of people will want large captions (particularly for
figures), and will exploit the fact that most browsers are forgiving of
HTML syntax errors, and will adopt the illegal solution.

--- Tony Jebson --- International Computers Limited (ICL)
--- ---
--- All opinions expressed here (however stupid) are my own,
--- and nothing stated here is an official statement by ICL.