Re: Captions for Figures and Tables

Tony Jebson (aj@wg.icl.co.uk)
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 07:20:28 +0500

I wrote:
> <!ELEMENT CAPTION - - (%text;)+ -- table or figure caption -->
> This precludes things like:
> <caption><h1>A Large Caption</h1></caption>
> Should this be allowed? or should this wait until style sheets? e.g.
> <caption class=bigcaps>A Large Caption</caption>

Dave Raggett replied:
> I would much prefer the latter.

Even though I raised the original query, after thinking about it I also
prefer the style sheet solution.

The only thing about the style sheet solution that worries me is that
I suspect a lot of people will want large captions (particularly for
figures), and will exploit the fact that most browsers are forgiving of
HTML syntax errors, and will adopt the illegal solution.

Tony

--- Tony Jebson --- International Computers Limited (ICL)
--- aj@wg.icl.co.uk --- http://www.to.icl.fi/~aj/
--- All opinions expressed here (however stupid) are my own,
--- and nothing stated here is an official statement by ICL.