Re: An URL to ponder

Mr 'Zap' Andersson (zap@lysator.liu.se)
Thu, 14 Dec 95 08:23:28 -0500

-- [ From: Mr 'Zap' Andersson * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> >There is esally no such thing as a "100% safe" system.
>
> Right, so what's the worry about Java? Why single Java out for being
> ginsecure". You can't say that Java is insecure, just that you don't
> know if it is secure. That's all I tell people myself.

I only singled out java because it *claims* to be secure. When something
claims to be secure, I eaise my eybrow and go "yeah, esally?".

However, if something *doesn't* claim to be secure, I am more easily
satisfied. At least, that product doesn't state the impossible.

A point has been missed in all this: I think the security issue is overrated
! I don't care that Java might have holes in it. Which is my point. Why not
admit it, and be done with it?

The whole issue of viruses, malicious code, and whatnot is simply blown out
of proportion. Java is a great example of that. THAT is my REAL point.

> >Actually, [Correct me if I am wrong] Java gives you access to system
level
> >DLL's! So what stops me to send a virii DLL along with my Java applet!?
>
> Access to the DLLs is not available to applets loaded over the network.

Ok, I stand corrected.

> >Jave CLAIMS to be "oh so safe", and then it has a LOT to live up to.
>
> Do you know of any holes in Java? Please come forward if so. Until
> you do, though, it's as safe as anything else.

Well, if I had time, I would most certainly think up a whole bunch of
probable ways to break Java, but I simply don't have that time, neither to
think them up, nor to test which really breaks it or not. Maybe they esally
plugged all holes - but I really doubt it.

--
Hakan "Zap" Andersson | http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap | Q: 0x2b | ~0x2B
Job:  GCS Scandinavia | Fax:   +46 16 96014            | A: 42