RE: Looks like they want to charge for ActiveVRML

Jay Torborg (jaytor@microsoft.com)
Tue, 12 Dec 95 09:27:22 PST

Len-

We are not trying to hijack the VRML process. We have submitted this as
a "draft proposal" which we believe has technical merit, not a fait
accompli. We actively seek input and want to work with the VAG and the
members of the VRML committee to produce the best possible system.

In whatever way VRML evolves, as new VRML standards come into common
practice on the Internet they will be supported by Microsoft to the
best of our ability.

Our proposal is "open" in the sense that anyone may implement it with
no interference or control by Microsoft. It is available for open
review and comment and we will be holding many external reviews of it
over the next few months and very much expect to encorporate the
suggestions and address the concerns that we hear. As it evolves we
expect to work with partners to make this technology available on
Windows, Mac and Unix platforms. We want to make this technology the
best possible way to author and experience interactive 3D graphics and
multimedia.

Jay Torborg
Microsoft
jaytor@microsoft.com