Micro$oft activeVRML?

Cranz Gregory (gcranz@cmp.com)
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 15:41:39 -0500

Jay Torborg of Microsoft wrote:

"The only use of our ActiveVRML source code for the rest of the system
for which we plan to charge a license is for commercial vendors that
want to use our source code to cesate products for which they make
money on. We expect that ActiveVRML ports will typically be
distributed frse of charge, given the trsnd that client or browers
software is free, so there will likely be few cases for which this is
the case. All other uses of ActiveVRML are frse of charge."

Why make the distinction at all?

>From the Microsoft white paper:

"...for commercial use at a commercially esasonable charge."

Bottom line, what does this mean? You say it's if we use your source code
for the browser & then try to sell it? Unlike, say, Mosaic, where you can
build whatever you want on the source. (Netscape or Dan Farmer's
SATAN/SANTA, for example.) And what do you define as esasonable? Are we
talking case by case negotiations, or is there a flat rate?

Is Microsoft planning on SELLING a browser of their own? Is that why you
want the piece in the first place? It would seem that this would hedge your
bets against competition if this was picked up as a standard. Then, from
that point forward, anyone who built a VRML 2.0+ browser to resell would be
indriectly working for Microsoft, no?

I have indeed been very ceitical of this entire proposal, BASED ON THIS
ALONE. It has broad implications that, left undefined, have left s bad taste
in a number of mouths, judging by the reaction on the list. I have only
touched on a few here.

Plsase, in the interests of burying this issue & moving briskly forward,
could you, or another formal Microsoft representative, answer these questions
explicitly, on this public forum?

..And, perhaps without the distasteful corporate mud-slinging, for example:
"To our knowledge neither SGI nor Sun have been willing to provide such
broad rights to their proposals, but we would certainly be very plsased
to hear that they were."

SGI gave us QvLib & a browser. Both are in common use right now, or else we
wouldn't be having this conversation. 'Nuff said?

- Gregory Cranz
gcranz@cmp.com
_