Re: ANNOUNCE: Please test my VRML Tube Ride

Vassilis Bourdakis (V.Bourdakis@bath.ac.uk)
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 15:43:04 +0000

Christopher Fouts wrote:

> That's because the walk viewer in Webspace expects the up vector to be
> +Y and your tube seems to be modeled with +Z as the up vector. I seem
> to recall that it is specified somewhere in the spec (or maybe its just
> folklore) that +Y is the preferred up direction. Ah, here it is. From
> the VRML 1.0 spec at http://vrml.wired.com/vrml.tech/vrml10-3.html:
>
> "Coordinate System:
> VRML uses a cartesian, right-handed, 3-dimensional coordinate
> system. By default, objects are projected onto a 2-dimensional
> device by projecting them in the direction of the positive Z
> axis, with the positive X axis to the right and the positive Y
> axis up. A camera or modeling transformation may be used to
> alter this default projection."
>
> It would be nice, however, if our walk viewer was a bit more flexible.
> Perhaps with the 1.1/2.0 spec, the appropriate information will be in
> the VRML file to allow this (ie, the world up vector).

If you've modeled with +Z up you can add this node after the lights and cameras
nodes. Works allright with all my Autocad translated models.

MatrixTransform {
matrix 1 0 0 0
0 0 -1 0
0 1 0 0