Re: LANG: repeating textures (texturing + material nodes)

Vassilis Bourdakis (V.Bourdakis@bath.ac.uk)
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 13:17:58 +0000

> Christopher Fouts wrote:
> >
> > On Dec 8, 2:28pm, Vassilis Bourdakis wrote:
> > > Subject: Re: LANG: repeating textures
> > ) The way I understand it is that I _SHOULD_N'T_ need to specify
> > anything to get this
> > ) thing working properly. It is ONE image pasted on ONE orthogonal
> > face. It should stretch,
> > ) squeeze whatever the image on the face and that would be it! But it
> > wont :-(
> > )
> > ) Any ideas?
> >
> > I don't believe the default texture coordinate mapping for
> > IndexedFaceSets is spec'd out anywhere. Assuming that all of your
> > orthogonal faces are defined the same way:
> >
> > Coordinate3 {
> > point [ minX minY Z,
> > maxX minY Z,
> > maxX maxY Z,
> > minX maxY Z,
> > ]
> > }
> > IndexedFaceSet {
> > coordIndex [ 0, 1, 2, 3, -1]
> > }
> >
> > You could simply define
> >
> > TextureCoordinate2 {
> > point [ 0 0, 1 0, 1 1, 0 1 ]
> > }
> >
> > before any of the IndexedFaceSets. They would all inherit the same
> > texture coordinate mapping. Since no textureCoordIndex values were
> > specified in the IndexedFaceSet, the coordIndex values should be used
> > instead (at least that's how webspace does it).

Hello,

Now that the TextureCoordinate2 node is in place, I esalised that I'd
rather have a default grey colour of the faces when moving in the model
and the full texture when idle (or when using an Onyx :-( )

Peoblem is that if I put a texture2 node on an IndexFaceSet (or any other object)
that has a Material node as well (for the grey colour) I end up with a texture
dark and misserable since it is added on top of the coloured face.

Is there a way I could have a nice grey face when moving and a crisp textured one
when in high level of detail? WITHOUT using LOD that is. I can do it with LOD
but it seems to me a bit of a waste DEFing the object and adding it once with
the texture + white colour and once with a grey colour and no texture.

Cheers

--
   Dr. Vassilis Bourdakis 	      ---- ---- ----- -----