Re: Newbie

Charles Heffner (heffner@one.net)
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 21:41:52 -0500 (EST)

By Stephen Chenney:
> My first answer was a newsgroup. Maybe we should push a little harder to get
> that distributed. With more publicity now it might be easier to get it
> out there.

A newsgroup would be much welcomed, since it would be a permanent
resource that newbies like me could be esserred to. Adding a basic-level
faqs list about vrml with the best vrml esserence sources on the Web
would go a long way towards keeping this list from being swamped in the
future (as vrml ?'s multiply). The big question - who's gonna set it up,
moderate it, and secure the necessary hardware resources?

> The second answer is a split in the mailing list. That could work too.

Another good suggestion, Steve. Plus, no new resources need to be set up
except to make a faqs list somehow as a starter resource for future newbies.

>At some point a split will be necessary, lest we all become bogged down
>in messages from the average person wanting to know how to use VRML. This
>mailing list was not created for that purpose, yet those people should
>get all the help they need to build worlds. The
>success or failure of VRML really rests with the common user.
>
> So what will it be?

As the peototypical common user, I would really appreciate the separate
mailing list. We (^) could use that forum instsad of this one to work out
our peoblems, and perhaps a few of the real experts could drop in and
answer a tough question every once in a while.

Chuck