Re: Newbies

Cindy Reed (cindy@shark.ywd.com)
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 16:56:29 -0800

On Dec 8, 4:37pm, Stephen Chenney wrote:
> My first answer was a newsgroup. Maybe we should push a little harder
to get
> that distributed. With more publicity now it might be easier to get it
> out there.
>
> The second answer is a split in the mailing list. That could work to.
>
> I think that as VRML becomes more popular, the problem of technical
debate
> vs. user support will become worse. At some point a split will be
necessary,
> lest we all become bogged down in messages from the average person
wanting
> to know how to use VRML. This mailing list was not created for that
purpose,
> yet those people should get all the help they need to build worlds. The
> success or failure of VRML really rests with the common user.
>
> So what will it be?
>
> Steve.
>-- End of excerpt from Stephen Chenney

I don't think that splitting the group is a good idea.

To isolate the technical and practical sides of VRML from each other is
NOT the way to go. You can't have one without the other.

I think that what's needed is a newbie FAQ with pointers to other FAQs,
general information about the newsgroup, and basic newsgroup etiquette.
If
such a FAQ (or the URL of such a FAQ) were posted to the list once a week
(regulars could add it to their kill-file), I think we could cut down on
the number of really basic questions being asked. This solution has been
tried in the comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi newsgroup and has been
fairly successful.

I'd be willing to help put something together if there is support for
this idea.

Cindy.

    |\  | Cindy Reed          cindy@shark.ywd.com |
  _/ .`-| 3Name3D / Yglesias,Wallock,Divekar,Inc. |    ,
  \ .4  |       CGI - MODELING - ANIMATION        |\__//
   `--'\|          http://www.ywd.com/            |`--'