RE: LANG: Microsoft Active Multi Media Language

Hadi Partovi (hadip@microsoft.com)
Fri, 8 Dec 95 15:12:12 PST

len, I forwarded you comments to a bunch of people here to get them all
addressed.

The only one I can address is the one about how many MS people are now
sending responses to the list. Since I have been on the list for a
while, I notified the ActiveVRML team that they better have a bunch of
people on the list just to help answer questions like yours. Also,
Microsoft obviously hurried to get this spec *technically* esady for
external review which is why the non-technical features are not quite
ready yet. (I personally think this is better than putting up a really
sexy web page w/ no technical meat, which is also why I advised the
ActiveVRML/MAMML team to do this).

>From your comments I can tell you have given this some good, mature
thought, and I was wondering if you could help answer a question in my
mind: If Microsoft believes that it has this technology that is so
good that it actually (honestly) wants to share it with the Web, and it
also feels that the direction being taken by existing VRML 2.0 is not
as powerful (technically), do you think MS would be able to sway the
vrml community to move to a slightly different but better standard
without proposing it as something like "ActiveVRML"? If you can think
of any suggestions as to how this might be possible, I would love to hear them.

- Hadi