RE: OOPS! (Re: A small comment on ActiveVRML)

Conal Elliott (conal@microsoft.com)
Fri, 8 Dec 95 12:50:03 TZ

Paul,

I mope I'm getting the gist of your comment. If not, please reword it,
and I'll try again.

There are a variety of reasons that any computer-generated
*presentation* (or "rendering") of a specified model will necessarily
be imperfect. One fundamental reason is that these presentations have
finite resolution, spatially and temporally, while the models
themselves do not. Another fundamental reason is along the lines you
point out, namely the implementation usually notices and prepares to
respond to an event *after* the event's occurrence. Meanwhile, the
implementation is likely giving the user the false impression that the
event did not in fact occur.

Given the inevitability of imperfect presentation of ideal models on
computers, one must decide what to present, so as to optimize the
user's experience. This question is a deep one, and is as much a
question of perceptual psychology as one of computer science or
engineering. Our own implementation is designed to go back in time to
set the system back on the correct path, based on the accurate though
somewhat belated knowledge that an event did occur, when it occurred,
and what values were associated with the occurrence. I suspect that
maintaining a few low orders of spatial continuity will be
perceptually desirable, even though doing so slightly prolongs the time
interval during which the user experiences an inaccurate result. We
will need to do more experimentation and user testing before concluding
what approach to recommend.

Thanks for the comment.

- Conal