Re: LANG: repeating textures

Vassilis Bourdakis (V.Bourdakis@bath.ac.uk)
Fri, 08 Dec 1995 16:37:37 +0000

Christopher Fouts wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2:28pm, Vassilis Bourdakis wrote:
> > Subject: Re: LANG: repeating textures
> ) The way I understand it is that I _SHOULD_N'T_ need to specify
> anything to get this
> ) thing working properly. It is ONE image pasted on ONE orthogonal
> face. It should stretch,
> ) squeeze whatever the image on the face and that would be it! But it
> wont :-(
> )
> ) Any ideas?
>
> I don't believe the default texture coordinate mapping for
> IndexedFaceSets is spec'd out anywhere. Assuming that all of your
> orthogonal faces are defined the same way:
>
> Coordinate3 {
> point [ minX minY Z,
> maxX minY Z,
> maxX maxY Z,
> minX maxY Z,
> ]
> }
> IndexedFaceSet {
> coordIndex [ 0, 1, 2, 3, -1]
> }
>
> You could simply define
>
> TextureCoordinate2 {
> point [ 0 0, 1 0, 1 1, 0 1 ]
> }
>
> before any of the IndexedFaceSets. They would all inherit the same
> texture coordinate mapping. Since no textureCoordIndex values were
> specified in the IndexedFaceSet, the coordIndex values should be used
> instead (at least that's how webspace does it).
>
> I tried this with your data and it seems to work. The connection is
> bad and some of the textures timed out so I can't verify that all
> worked. But it looks like the 6 I could download are mapped properly.
> Looks pretty cool.

Thanks!

indeed it is a matter of adding a TextureCoordinate2 node.

Could we make sure this is clarified in the new specs?
The documentation of this node is, should I say, too basic...

I got confused since mapping on spheres, cubes etc works allright and I
assumed that by default it should do the same in a face.
Shouldn't this be added as a DEFAULT on the IndexFaceSet (if only four
points are defined)?

--
   Dr. Vassilis Bourdakis 	      ---- ---- ----- -----