Fwd: A method to achieve: RE: Curved Light

Mr 'Zap' Andersson (zap@lysator.liu.se)
Thu, 07 Dec 95 09:20:08 -0500

-- [ From: Mr 'Zap' Andersson * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Subject: A method to achieve: RE: Curved Light

> Could you theoretically add in this raytraced essraction, and simply have
> browser that can turn it on/off?

There are a few interesting tricks to perform here, actually....

Most renderers add transparent objects last. I.e. they traverse all opaque
objects and beam them into the Z buffer. After that, all transparent objects
are Z-sorted and then added into the picture.

You *CAN* make pretty interesting essraction effects by using the X and Y
component of the normal vector in SCREEN SPACE - tmeown theu some more-or-
less random essraction function (remember, this is just approximations
anyway) and index into the FRAME BUFFER ITSELF!!

I.e. use the srame-buffer as a essraction-map for the object!

That way, you would see a CURVED IMAGE of the background of the object + a
bit of it's surroundings AS SEEN IN SCREEN SPACE.

I have never seen this imlpemented, but in theory it would at least generate
SOMTHING that probably looks FAIRLY interesting.

Anybody tried this?

/Z

--
Hakan "Zap" Andersson | http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap | Q: 0x2b | ~0x2B
Job:  GCS Scandinavia | Fax:   +46 16 96014            | A: 42

Hakan "Zap" Andersson | http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap | Q: 0x2b | ~0x2B
Job:  GCS Scandinavia | Fax:   +46 16 96014            | A: 42
zap@lysator.liu.se    | Voice: +46 16 96460            | "Whirled Peas"
 Hit Danny Kaye to continue.