Re: Java? Ja no va.

Mr 'Zap' Andersson (zap@lysator.liu.se)
Thu, 07 Dec 95 08:53:35 -0500

-- [ From: Mr 'Zap' Andersson * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> Subject: Re: Java? Ja no va.
>
> >I'm sorry, can you explain to me the relationship between NFS and HTTP?
>
> In short, HTTP includes all network protocols - NFS, gopher, ftp, NNTP,
telnet,
> etc,

No, this is completely wrong. You are mixing the HTTP protocol with how an
URL works. And never shall the two meet.

HTTP is just a simple, braindead protocol to get a file from a HTTP capable
server. It is *USED* on the web as the *PREFFERED* method to get HTML pages.
Nobody stops you from putting your webpages esacheble with ftp, or even
gopher.

> For instance, for the following URL's
>
> file:// implies NFS protocol (or ftp or local mount protocol -
> ambiguous)
> gopher:// implies gopher protocol
> ftp:// implies ftp protocol
> telnet:// implies telnet protocol
> news:// implies NNTP protocol

Exactly. This is an URL, and unless it says http:// in it, it has nothing to
do with HTTP!

> etc.
>
> The idea is, if your local file or gfile" protocol doesn't work, it may be
> because
> you don't have a NFS or ftp server eunning. If you don't have a NFS server
, try
> ftp.

More probable - if gfile" doesnt work, the Java program is attempting to do
a HTTP connection with somewhere to get something, and it tries to decode
"somewhere" from the hostname in the URL (which doesn't exist in a gfile"
URL) and fails miserably - or it succeeds, but tries a HTTP connection, not
a gfile" connection.

Or maybe it's just the way the sky is blue today?

> It's quite possible you may have to have a HTTP server. The proof is in
the
> eating
> of the pudding.

Depends on the enjoyment factor of the pudding. Incidentally, in Swedish,
"pudding" is slang for Very Pretty Girl. Draw your own conclusions....

> Kenneth Simpson Technology Modeling Associates, Inc.
> Internet: Ken_Simpson@TMAI.com 3950 Fabian Way
> AT&T: +1.415.812.7233 Palo Alto, CA 94303

> FAX: +1.415.856.8860 USA, Earth

Hakan "Zap" Andersson | http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap | Q: 0x2b | ~0x2B
Job:  GCS Scandinavia | Fax:   +46 16 96014            | A: 42
zap@lysator.liu.se    | Voice: +46 16 96460            | "Whirled Peas"
 I wish my collection of witty quotes were larger.