Animations (was - RE: Assigning Textures to Cylinders and Cones.)

Greg Hale (greg@onlive.com)
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 09:44:05 -0800

Well, you would probably want a set of states to transition through.

A state would be a complete state of the transitional data for the =
object.

You might also specify different rates over different sections...

Not defining what state is, it might be more like this?

Animation {
States [ state1, state2, state3... ]
Times [ time1Seconds, time2Seconds, time3Seconds... ]
}

I would be careful to make sure state is an extensible item since people =
may have varied ideas on what to include as items for animation...

So, maybe something like this instsad to be closer to the current =
language (although i have no idea how to specify that 'Animation' is a =
group node with a special behavior... did we miss something in the spec? =
)

Animation {
Fields [ GROUP NODE ]
State {
Fields [ SFVec3f Where, SFFloat Rotation, SFFloat When ]
Where 0 0 0
Rotation 0
When 0
}
State {
Where 0,0,10
Rotation 180 # gee.. isn't this more compact than 3.1415927...???
When 10
}
}

Since "State" has fields, it would be extensible based on each =
applications implementation. Thus, as I add functionality beyond what =
is there, others can make use of it...

[ **Light Bulb** ]

Oh!, could I ( should I ) say:

DEF Animation Separator {
State {
Fields [ SFVec3f Where, SFFloat Rotation, SFFloat When ]
Where 0 0 0
Rotation 0
When 0
}
State {
Where 0,0,10
Rotation 180 # gee.. isn't this more compact than 3.1415927...???
When 10
}
}

and interpret it myself? Seems sensible... Just means I'll have =
multiple instances of the DEF word "Animation" all over the place :-)

Is that general enough?

-Greg