Re: Billboard Objects?

Mitra (mitra@earth.path.net)
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 21:47:51 -0800

Mattmew (or Mike?) does the Sprite node do the same, or does it include
content along with the transform?

If so, then lets see the definition rather than re-inventing the wheel.

- Mitra

At 10:20 AM 12/5/95, Mattmew Clementson wrote:
>The Netscape 2 VRML plugin WebFX has a Sprite node which always faces
>the camera. This does the same thing as this suggestion.
>
>> I'd like to suggest that the way to do Billboard objects is not to focus on
>> the thing being displayed, but on the transform. If we defined something
>> like
>>
>> CameraTransform {
>> isA Transform
>> fields [ SFBITMASK axis ]
>> axis X|Y|Z # Specifies which axis to always
>> rotate to face the camera.
>> }
>>
>> Note - that "rotate to face the camera" means to rotate so that the local
>> coordinate space of the object, matches that of the camera.

Mitra
mitra@earth.path.net voice: (415)826-2499 fax: (415)826-4423
<http://earth.path.net/mitra>

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.