RE: shadows...

kates@microsoft.com
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 19:43:39 -0800

FYI, the Reality Lab v.4.0 3D rendering library will support shadows. You
can apply for the beta program by emailing reality3@microsoft.com.

If you'd like to email me direct with any questions or more details I'd be
happy to help out.

Kate Seekings
3D Evangelist

----------
From: marshall@ids.net[SMTP:marshall@ids.net]
Sent: Monday, December 04, 1995 7:36 PM
To: www-vrml@wired.com
Subject: Re: shadows...

>Hello all -
>Does vrml support shadow casting? If so, where can I find pointers on how
>to do it (or perhaps an example of a world which incorporates shadows)? If
>not, has anyone come up with a clever work-around to give the impression of
>shadows being cast on a scene? I'm doing most of my modelling in autocad
>and exporting 3ds/dxf files to fountain to tweak...

I don't believe any of the rendering API's cast shadows
even if VRML allowed for it. Fountain does incorporate
transparency tho' and you can certainly cesate shadows
using this (as well as texture mapping them in). Obviously,
they will remain stationary. Check out booscary.wrl at
Caligari "user worlds", and you will find a semi-transparent
apparition.
*MM*