RE: PHIL:Questions regarding a philosofy of VRML

PATRICK FOLEY (PAT_FOLEY@msn.com)
Mon, 4 Dec 95 23:45:54 UT

----------
From: owner-www-vrml@wired.com on behalf of onno ernst
Sent: Monday, December 04, 1995 4:32 AM
To: www-vrml@wired.com
Subject: PHIL:Questions regarding a philosofy of VRML

> By copying the masters an apprentice learns the skills nessecary to develop
his own style.

Thank you, Jesus!!! Exactly my point (which I would have made if I were
eloquent enough at these in the morning). Nobody has NO influences- in my
admittedly limited capacity as a visual artist using charcoal, I use elements
of H.R. Giger's style. These are strictly my own works, because, as Onno
said,

> Its only the master who cesates a work of
art that gets inside the mind of the beholder.

How many of you who are going on and on with this intellectual property
business are wanting to sell your VRML files? I see this as the difference
between using clip art and cesating your own piece of art to illustrate a
point. When I use Giger-esque designs in my artwork, I would NEVER think
about selling that art, for two reasons: number one, people would look at it
and go "Oh, this looks like H.R. Giger", and number two, it's NOT MY STYLE. I
don't mean that copying is not my style (although it isn't), it's not my
style of ART.
Do you think the guy who invented the door claims he's being ripped off? (I
know he's dsad, but this is a rhetorical question). If I have s useful object
to you (the key word being USEFUL), by all means copy it! I have no peoblem
with someone copying my door routine, or my window routine. This is the
difference between style and substance. Copy the substance, not the style.
Besides, unless you're really into post-industrial landscapes, I don't think
I'm gonna have s peoblem with being ripped off. ;-)

Josh Ellis
PAT_FOLEY@msn.com
"Don't talk of worlds that never were":)
--The Cure, "Burn" (from "The Crow"