Re: VFX1 info (fwd)

Bazemore Jonathan R (jbazemor@LnxLand1.denver.colorado.EDU)
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 13:42:54 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, John Jeffrey Close wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, Bazemore Jonathan R wrote:

Ok--I see that we need to bring in another fellow to help
sort this out--just a moment (prestidigitatious waving of hands)

<POOF!>

(a short, squat, sturdy looking bald fellow with a toga
enters from the right)

Socrates:

By the dog! Where am I?

me: Uh, dude, we got a problem here--can you help us
clarify a question I have, so that it can be understood?

Socrates: Wait a moment, and I will see if I am up to
the task--will you go on with the narration?

me: Why, of course.

Socrates: Then please do so.

me: My tale of woe, Socrates, is this--there is device,
to be worn about the person so as to bring wonderous sights
to the eyes, and sounds to hear. It allows one to go
to far-off places, without geographical displacement.

Socrates: Go on.

me: Well, I wish to use this device to see a 3 dimensional
world of connected architectural constructs over an internetworked
group of machines, machines that do calculations very quickly,
using what is called a browser. These worlds, and the calculations
surrounding their design exist in the X, Y and Z planes, yet,
for the most part, we can only view these scenes as 2D representations
of 3D worlds on (for all practical purposes) 2D screens called monitors.

Socrates: It appears, friend, that a more detailed inquiry into
the nature of these strange worlds needs to be made,
else we all be imperiled by this growing fondness of
misunderstanding. Now, what is the nature of viewing
these worlds, in, as it were, a these dimensional
geometry?

me: Well, there are two scene-generating panels, one for each
eye--and from each, there is a slightly different perspective,
giving a sense of depth of view.

Socrates: And you say, then, that though there are worlds that
exist in these machines of computation, that are connected together,
there is no means to see these worlds, in these dimensions, using
the device of which you spoke so lately?

me: That is correct, Socrates.

Socrates: And if there are these worlds, and they exist on machines,
artificial machines, as we must imagine, machines made by men, then
it would follow that these worlds themselves are artificial, and
also made by men?

me: That is true, Socrates.

Socrates: And these men, they often gather together to quibble about
the nuances of their worlds, to exhibit them and to question each other
about them?

me: That is correct.

Socrates: And yet, they are satified to view these worlds, some
I would imagine to be very large and elaborate, in only two dimensions,
which would show only a fractional part of the experience of being
transported to these worlds?

me: I do not know, Socrates, but it appears so.

Socrates: Then one thing is clear, my friend: we must depart
from this Agora and not loiter here, for these men are surely mad.

<poof>