Re: Signposts

Andrew C. Esh (andrewes@cnt.com)
Mon, 04 Dec 1995 14:30:08 -0600

Len Bullard wrote:

> To protect your worlds:

We should be able to legally protect copy rights if the usual notices are
given. In general, the notice has to be visible to anyone who even casually
uses the copyrighted material, so that they know they shouldn't copy it.

> o Register the world with the copyright office.

You're thinking patents, trademarks, and servicemarks . There is no place one
must go to "register" a copyright. You just stake your claim, and attach a
notice. All that is needed is that is meets certain legal requirements
(format, placement, ...). Then, if someone copies your material, the place
that decides your claim to it is a court of law.

> OK. Can we start a topic a bit more fun and
> constructive? How to share worlds?

Yep, let's do this, please. It's just that some of us want to share them
without also giving them away, so that the other guy makes all the money on
it.

---
Andrew C. Esh			mailto:andrew_esh@cnt.com
<A HREF="http://www.mtn.org/~andrewes">ACE Home Page</A>