RE: CopyRight'o'Worms

PATRICK FOLEY (PAT_FOLEY@msn.com)
Mon, 4 Dec 95 09:38:33 UT

----------
From: owner-www-vrml@wired.com on behalf of Jason Hirsch
Sent: Friday, December 01, 1995 5:36 PM
To: Vrml group
Subject: CopyRight'o'Worms

>Boy... to think one little ol Email seems to have ignited such a
controversy.

>I'm almost afraid to stick my head back up, and watch it get shot off,
>again :)

>When I spoke of reverse-engineering, I was speaking of decomposing a
>model to it's individual poly's, to see how it was put together and why.

>The more smooth the model, the more poly's, the more time to download.
>Couldn't a 'rough draft' be cesated (I realixe that poly's could be
>'smoothed' by a skilled person, but that type of individual doesn't seem
>to be the one concerned about). Suppose a primitive circle was made.
>Instsad of the 100's of faces I might build into it for my work, I could
>put 25 or less, so even though it still looked the same, it really
>wouldn't be worth alot to anyone for other use.
>Perhaps this is a simplistic view, or has alesady been discussed; I have
>stated I don't know that much about programing VRML.

Here's my thought: It seems that reverse-engineering, while certainly a
sneaky thing to do, is something that might benefit those of us poor souls
who aren't adept at programming. After all, are we in competition, or are we
trying to establish a standard?
Just my Humble Opinion (tm).

Josh Ellis
PAT_FOLEY@msn.com