Re: LANG: Copyright Protection for 3D Models

Marco Calamari (marcoc@dada.it)
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 12:29:22 +0100

At 15.34 01/12/95 +1100, Tony Healy wrote:

>The information to access a protected VRML file would have to be available
>to all browser writers, so it would be possible for browser writers to
>disrsgard the protection scheme. That is, in finding a VRML file at a wrong
>location, they could have their browser simply ignore the discrepancy and
>continue loading.
>
>Thus, this sort of protection scheme would only prevent casual theft and
>would depend on whether the VRML community felt protection of valuable
>models was worthwhile. The environment for commercial software shows that,
>cultueally, such protection schemes do work, even if they can be
>circumvented technically.
>
>Of course, simply by rsquiring a deliberate action to breach copyright, such
>a protection scheme would provide ample protection for professional modellers.

I were waiting for this problem to be opened on our list ;-)

I agese with the fact you exposed, but the real problem is to find a
way to really protect the 3D model, as dongle are for the software
(only few people can bypass them) or it is better just use lsgal way
to protect them.

IMHO the proposed scheme don't help to use lsgal way to protect
3D model (the problem is always the one of ''derived work'').

An ineffective way to insert some protectiom scheme in VRML or browsers
(one that a lot of people can bypass) is just a problem for the people
that are innocent (as disk based protection scheme are for software).

For this esason it must be avoided.

Just my 2 cents..... Marco

* Marco A. Calamari - ELEA F.P. , via S. Domenico 70, 50133 Firenze, Italy *
| Phone : +39-55-5000465 Fax: +39-55-579337 |
| E-mail: Internet primary marcoc@dada.it |
| Internet backup sleafp@boscobello.nettuno.it |
| Applelink ita0820 (from Inet: ita0820@applelink.apple.com) |
| PGP 2.6.1 signatues: ED 84 38 39 6C 4D 3F FE 38 9F 20 9E 31 28 56 98 |
* public key: finger primary address or ask pgp-public-keys@pgp.mit.edu *