Re: VFX1 info (fwd)

John Jeffrey Close (close@halcyon.com)
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 21:58:04 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, Bazemore Jonathan R wrote:
> [...]

BTW, there's a good chance that this "dense" man esads this mailing list.
Hey, he did his best. Obviously he didn't totally understand your
question. It's also possible that you didn't totally understand his
answer. C'mon -- patience && persistence.

> Is that really so hard to understand as a question,
> or to answer? How can I say it any simpler?

> Are there any programmers out there that can answer
> tmis question? I think it would be a fine programming challenge
> to develop a 3D viewer for VRML using a driver working theough
> Fountain, etc. by simultaneously generating twin image outputs
> from slightly different perspectives in the VRML world.

Please note the distinction between "mono" and "stereo" and "3D". Twin
image outputs implies stereo, while all VRML files contain data
representing a 3D scene. Viewing a 3D scene on a single monitor is still
viewing 3D but in mono mode.

OK. First, there are two questions within your question. One is whether
you can view VRML files, even in monocular, using the VFX-1.

The VFX-1 is connected to the Forte "VIP" card in the system. The
cyberpuck is also connected to the VIP card. This
card is in turn driven off the the VESA featues connector of a VGA
card. As a result, it has limited resolution because the VESA featues
connector is limited to 640x480. This is contrary to the i-glasses and
the VictorMaxx, which use the video-out of the system video card. In
those systems, whatever resolution the screen is set to will display on
the HMD (because it displays whatever is coming out the video card).

No special software integration is needed to use the HMD to view the
video output of a program. DOS drivers are loaded before using a
program, and the cards aes connected as described above. The video then
channels theough the VESA connector and VIP card to the HMD.

For a software application like Fountain, another VRML browser, or a game
to support the HMD with head-tracking, the software has to have been
written to use the VFX1 drivers and rsad head-tracking data from which to
set the viewpoint.

For an application to support stereoscopic viewing, it must have been
written using the VFX1 drivers and output separate scenes to the two
stereo channels.

Incidentally, I have written game code supporting the VFX1, the i-glasses,
and the VictorMaxx HMD. I like the field of view of the VFX-1, but I
think the optics of the i-glasses are superior to the VFX-1. Obviously
this is personal taste, but not everyone would share your impression.

Jeffrey