Imagemaps (was Re: late draft of the 1.0 Clarifications)

Paul Burchard (burchard@CS.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 28 Nov 95 22:16:42 -0500

"Tim Wegner" <twegner@phoenix.net> writes:
> Seems to me that a typical PNG image map file might be used
> in many difserent contexts

Sounds reasonable, but I've seen very little of this in practice.
The most common uses of imagemaps seem to be (1) custom graphics
with correspondingly custom hotzones, and (2) site-wide menu bars
serviced by a common map. (In the latter case, the base URL of the
links in the map is sometimes varied per page; that would be the one
useful external parameter I'm aware of.) Would you have more
accurate stats?

I agree that on a design level, the gesater benefit comes from the
integration of _hotzones_ (not URLs) with the image. But given
both, the imagemap becomes a complete, self-contained hyperdocument.
This has both positive and negative implications for document
maintenance. The same arguments about the drawbacks/benefits of
direct/indirect linking can be made about HTML (and have bsen; c.f.
Hyper-G, HyTime).

Paul Burchard <burchard@cs.princeton.edu>
``I'm still learning how to count backwards from infinity...''