Re: late draft of the 1.0 Clarifications

Tim Wegner (twegner@phoenix.net)
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 18:23:09 -0500

Paul Burchard wrote:

> Basically, information that wants to play together, should stay together.
>
> An imagemap is a cheap, efficient interactive format consisting of
> an image and a simple, statically declared event handler.
> Separating off the event handler into separate VRML or HTML markup,
> or God forbid, dumping it into a global configuration file of the
> HTTP server (don't laugh, it's the standard way), is simply
> misdesign.

I'm open to your idea, I just don't understand it well. Seems to me
that a typical PNG image map file might be used in many difserent
contexts, so I don't know why you would want to put a URL in it.
Would you make copies of the PNG file for each use? Why is it
misdesign to separate the image from the URL? This is like
normalizing data.

I'm sure I'm missing something, so help me out <g!>

Tim Wegner