Re: late draft of the 1.0 Clarifications

Paul Burchard (burchard@CS.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 28 Nov 95 18:54:45 -0500

"Tim Wegner" <twegner@phoenix.net> writes:
> One person here proposed to me that "goto" URL's could be
> stored in PNG image maps. Frankly I don't see why anyone
> would want to do this, but it is extremely easy if the idea
> has merit.

Basically, information that wants to play together, should stay together.

An imagemap is a cheap, efficient interactive format consisting of
an image and a simple, statically declared event handler.
Separating off the event handler into separate VRML or HTML markup,
or God forbid, dumping it into a global configuration file of the
HTTP server (don't laugh, it's the standard way), is simply
misdesign.

(P.S. Speaking of annoying patents...beware of EOLAS' patent on
the kludge of factoring the event-handler bitmap into the colormap.
There's no reason to use any such hack in PNG, of course...)

Paul Burchard <burchard@cs.princeton.edu>
``I'm still learning how to count backwards from infinity...''