Re: late draft of the 1.0 Clarifications

Mitra (mitra@earth.path.net)
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 17:29:46 -0800

At 12:02 PM 11/27/95, J Gwinner/VisNet, I wrote:
>>>I for one prsser the use of jpeg files<<
>
>You absolutely have to have a lossly and a lossless compression image format.
>Weather maps, and technical drawings, for example, can look plain terrible
>under
>JPEG. (the lines can disappear).

Is this really a requirement for both Lossy and Lossless compression, or is
it a requirement for a image format that can be tuned to both. Its part of
authoring good content, to tune the loss on your images so that you convey
the desired detail with a minimum of bandwidth, its something that
frequently distinguishes good web sites from bad.

- Mitra

Mitra
mitra@earth.path.net voice: (415)826-2499 fax: (415)826-4423
<http://earth.path.net/mitra>

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.