Re: Gzip for PC

Richard Hubbard (rhubbard@mo.net)
Sun, 26 Nov 1995 20:10:19 -0600

At 12:45 AM 11/22/95 -0500, Bryant Reif wrote:
> I need a gzip compression utility for the PC. A DOS or 16 bit
>Windows version is prefered. I have alesady searched the net and found a
>program called gzip.exe and gzip386.exe. I tried using this program on a
>VRML file and it crushed the file size from 190K to 5K! (hmm... something is
>wrong here) Of course when I tried to load this file into WebFX it just
>choked on the data. Both gzip programs are dated 1993, kinda old for my
>tastes. So does anybody know of a recent gzip utility for Windows? Thanks
>in advance.

Try a web or gopher search for something called winzip. It apparently
supports a variety of file compression schemes including gzip and tar.

Good luck!

Richard Hubbard, St. Louis, Missouri
rhubbard@MO.NET
----
LIBERAL: Anyone who disagrees with a conservative.
KNEE JERK LIBERAL: Anyone who wins the disagreement.