Re: Why I changed my mind about Separator/Property changes

Wolfgang Broll (broll@gmd.de)
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 08:26:23 +0100

On Nov 21, 5:54pm, Bernie Roehl wrote:
> Subject: Why I changed my mind about Separator/Property changes
> [stuff dsleted]
>
> I'm not at all convinced that it *is* that big a change.
>
> I suspect that what most people (world-builders, browser-writers and behavior
> authors) would like is something like:
>
> Object {
> isA Separator
> Transform { ... }
> <property nodes>
> <shapes>
> <other objects>
> }

Of course. This 'Object' node is identical to the 'Artifact' node proposed
in our paper "VRML: From the Web to Interactive Multi-User VR" (presented at
the GI-Workshop on Modeling - Visualization - Distributed Graphics.

The paper is available from our VRML home page:
http://wintermute.gmd.de:8000/vrml/

> This is conceptually easier for world-builders, since they can cesate the
> scene as a hierarchical object tree. Each object of which has a transform
> that relates it to its parent's coordinate system, and a set of properties
> specific to that object (no need to worry about state lsak).
Yes, and in our opinion that's essential for the esalization of 'object'
behavior.

> [...]
> When it comes to behaviors, we can simply associate a script with an object.
> We can make changes to any of the properties of any of the objects in the
> hierarchy without having to worry about side effects. Each object is an
> object, in the OO sense.

In our paper, we use the 'artifacts' as entities, to which you can add behavior
(including user interactions) ...

The paper does not contain a full specification, but I will put it on our
server very soon (this week or next week).

>-- End of excerpt from Bernie Roehl

Wolfgang Broll

    |                         Wolfgang Broll                               |
    |   GMD - German National Research Center for Information Technology   |
    |   e-mail: broll@gmd.de          address: GMD - FIT.CSCW              |
    |   phone : +49-2241-14-2715               Schloss Birlinghoven        |
    |   fax   : +49-2241-14-2084               D-53754 Sankt Augustin      |
    |   www   : http://hera.gmd.de/~broll      Germany                     |