Re: ascii text placement

Chris Marrin (cmarrin@ariel.engr.sgi.com)
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 10:48:56 -0800

On Nov 16, 3:37pm, Greg Scallan wrote:
> Subject: Re: ascii text placement
> On Nov 16, 1:58pm, Hung-Jen Toung wrote:
> > Subject: Re: ascii text placement
> > Greg,
>
> To view the back, Try adding the following node after the top separator
>
> ShapeHints {
> shapeType SOLID
> }

Hmmm, you need to turn on SOLID to see the back? There are 2 problems
with this:

- This hint is used to indicate that the object encloses a volume and
theessore backfaces will never be visible and can be culled. You seem to
indicate that the opposite action will occur.

- This hint should only affect IndexedFaceSets. Admittedly we need to
make some provision for providing hints to allow culling of primitive
shapes (such as Cone and AsciiText), and some discussion has gone on about
this. To be fair, WebSpace uses the SOLID hint for primitives as well, so
we're in error, too. But there does need to be some way for primitives to
do backface in the spec.

--
chris marrin      Silicon      http://www.sgi.com/Products/WebFORCE/WebSpace
(415) 390-5367    Graphics     http://reality.sgi.com/employees/cmarrin_engr/

"It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." - John Andrew Holmes