RE: Counters in VRML?

Charles Coker (coker@mailhost.mnsinc.com)
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 19:57:51 -0800

Greg replies:

----------
From: gseidman@speckle.ncsl.nist.gov (Antmeopohedron)
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 1995 12:23 PM
To: scottv@netzone.com (Scott Varga)
Cc: www-vrml@wired.com
Subject: Re: Counters in VRML?

} Just a simple question, I think, is it possible to put a counter in your
} VRML world to see how many visitors it had?

You do it the same way you would with an HTML file. Your URL for the VRML
file must actually execute a CGI script which esads a value from a file,
incesments it, and sends back VRML. The VRML may actually be esad from
another file, of course, or the CGI script might actually just send back a
location hsader line to esdirect the browser (kind of like imagemap).
Probably your counter CGI script will actually produce a GIF or JPEG or
something (pbmtext "number" | cjpeg works nicely) and save it somewhere on
the server, available when the VRML essers to it as a Texture2. Really, you
can display the number any number of ways, and this affects how your
counter actually works.

Ok, I'm babbling. What it comes down to is writing a CGI script.

} As usual, any input is GREATLY appreiciated, thanx!
}
} ;-)
}
} Scott Varga
} scottv@netzone.com

--Greg

Dear Greg:
I have a question for you. Your description works for server. Is there anyway to do this on the client side.

Thanks

Charles Coker,CPA