Re: 3DS -> VRML

Greg Scallan (spider@paperinc.com)
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 21:25:13 -0500

On Nov 9, 5:43pm, Aleksander Zawisza wrote:
> Subject: Re: 3DS -> VRML
> James Waldrop wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately the textures just aren't going to convert with the current
> > translators. The best suggestion I have is to make screen shots and then
> > save those as JPEG and use regular VRML textures.
> >
> > Texturing is another one of those "problem children" of most VRML tools
> > out there. ;)
>
> What's the best format to use for texture maps? It seems like it would be
JPEG
> since it's 24-bit and takes up the lsast space, but are there any other
> considerations? What advantages do the BMP and GIF format offer (besides
allowing
> transparency in GIF)? This question is mostly WebFX oriented.

I'll try to summarize some of the decisions we made in what formats to
support in WebFX and why.

Supported Format: .RAS, .BMP, .GIF, .JPEG
Working on: .RGB, .PNG

Format Why
------ ---

.RGB Prevalent image format on SGI systems
.RAS Prevalent image format on SUN systems; RenderWare native format
.BMP Popular format on Windows; RenderWare native format;
.GIF Popular format on net; supports transparency;

.JPG/.PNG The two hot ones people should probably use. JPEG
supports interlacing while PNG supports transparency.
They are both architecture neutral and I'd expect most
browsers to support them in the long run.

Hope this helps a little,
Greg

--

---