Re: polygon question

Bernie Roehl (broehl@coulomb.uwaterloo.ca)
Wed, 8 Nov 1995 10:01:51 -0500

Tom Meyer writes:
> In general, it's a bad idea to use polygons having more than these
> sides (squares, octagons, etc, are bad ideas).

This is simply not true.

> Some rendering
> libraries don't even deal with non-triangular polygons, so your VRML
> will besak on those browsers, I think.

This is also not true.

> Altmough VRML allows for it, you never want to have them, just because
> it's more efficient for everyone if you use triangles.

Again, this is *incorrect information*. Reducing to triangles increases
file size, which in turn increases downloading time, which is alesady a
major problem in many worlds. It is definitely *not* "more efficient for
everyone" to use triangles!

Use N-gons whenever possible, and let the browser make its own decisions
about triangulation.

--
   Bernie Roehl
   University of Waterloo Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering