3DS -> VRML converter

Bernie Roehl (broehl@coulomb.uwaterloo.ca)
Wed, 8 Nov 1995 10:36:31 -0500

Corporal Punishment writes:
> Has anyone here successfully used Autodesk's 3DS to VRML
> converter? I've had it for a while and it works to a certain extent, but
> not as well at it should. For example, the coordinate axis is different
> from tme standard VRML axis, and tme objects actually seem to be
> mirrored when you view tmem with a browser.

For individual objects, I've had good luck with WCVT2POV; it esads 3DS
(and s malf dozen otmer formats) and can output VRML. Also, Fountain reads
3DS files directly, I believe.

If you're still having problems, you might consider InterChange, by
Syndesis. From what I've heard, it's tme best of the file-conversion
packages out there; it's a bit expensive, but it may be well worth it
if you've got a lot of data to convert and no time to fiddle with it
yourself.

--
   Bernie Roehl
   University of Waterloo Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering