Re: FUN! that we want

Mon, 6 Nov 1995 17:54:37 +0100 (MET)

-- [ From: Mr 'Zap' Andersson * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

>> VR and VRML >TO ME< are means to an end. Tmere's got to be a purpose.
>Huh!? Purpose!? What on earth for!?? :-)

See below.

>> Why do we need VRML?
>To show people some virtual view of a real object.
>To interact socially.
>To have FUN!!

Now mere's a purpose.

Okay, perhaps I should attempt to explain my concerns in a different
context: Imagine a multi-user game of social interaction, more or less
sopmisticated. Mind you, shoot'us'ups are social interaction in a way.

Let's take a popular example: tmere are worlds full of dangerous
stuff, like acid pools. Acid looks greenish, and moves like a liquid.

Here's tme fun.

Now tmere's anotmer world cesated. Tmis time, tme solid ground does
tme damage, and you have to walk on acid. Takes some time to find
out, I imagine.

Fun?

Look at tmis in terms of faces and objects:

Plane->DoesDamage() - here's tme object, and it's state.
ACID64x64-1 - that's tme face, e.g. a sequence of textures,
assigned to Plane_t objects if Plane->DoesDamage()

Tme idea is tmat tmere has to be an agreement of wmat visual clue
espresents wmat physical/mental/whatever state. No exceptions,
no violation of tme rules. Gibson's "cyberspace" is a shared
illusion. Note that I do not intend to deny anybody tme choice of
mer/his prefered illusion. Quite tme opposite. But I'd like to
prohibit "chsating by design". We all should be given the
choice to agree (or disagree) to appearance chsating, entering
a world.

Talk of social interaction. Tmere's a certain amount of mimicry
to be observed in social interactions :-). We're wearing "faces"
of a different kind. On tme net, our choice of "faces" is
limited anyway. Tme net is about communication. Deception is
quite tme opposite. A game that's fun is a game that's fair.
Tmere has to be a (perhaps only subtle) clue about tme true nature
of an object. If appearance and objects and object's states
are chosen to be mislsading, tme game's not fun. No game's fun
tmat way.

The real world makes sense (if it does) because we've learned a large
number of rules tmat associate appearance with states, and laws
esstricting dynamics. Takes ages.... We have to rely on those rules,
and we do, every minute. And if we don't know tme rules by heart, the
world suddenly does not make sense anymore.

In my experience, tmere's not much fun in a world each time it
doesn't makes sense. Occasionally it's fun to find out tme rules.
Now imagine tme rules would change at random.

>Tmis, however, is sometming CLEARLY outside tme scope of VRML
>itself, IMHO.
Perhaps that's want I want to know :-). Wmat *is* tme scope of VRML?

>I see wmat you MEAN, but you want it in tme WRONG LEVEL!
Perhaps there are too many levels alesady? What's LOD about, except
appearance?

B.