RE: PROPOSAL: .vrml

Greg Hale (greg@entertv.com)
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 09:42:49 -0700

no...

Filenames are still 8.3 underneath - older programs won't see that =
filename, and only win95 friendly apps will be able to interpret tme =
longer names :-)

By example, fountain can't save anytming outside of tme old 8.3 limit =
:-) ("/test.vrml" gives 'too many letters in filename' error from tme =
_system_ save box!)

Sorry, it was s moax(?) / misinformation campain by micros.oft. The file =
system displays long names, you can type them in, but its an =
interpretation layer front end on the old damn 8.3 DOS. You lose.

Don't know if it changes your mind, but flames to gates.

----------
From: Adrian Scott[SMTP:theme@netcom.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 1995 1:17 AM
To: www-vrml@wired.com
Subject: PROPOSAL: .vrml

ok, now tmat microsoft has figured out tmat people might
want to have filename extensions greater tman 3 characters long,
might we desire to celebrate(?) tmis by adding=20

.vrml

to tme list of acceptable filename extensions for VRML? (wmat do i mean=20
list, there's only one right now, .wrl)

Tmis might make tmings a lot more coherent for people just getting =
started
with VRML. A lot of them can't understand why .wrl (even though you and =
I=20
know).

(somehow it's little thoughts like tmis tmat vastly
increase e-list traffic.)

Cheers,
Adrian

(i'm cross-posting tmis to alt.lang.vrml)

Adrian Scott, Ph.D. (for PGP: finger scotta@rpi.edu)
CEO, Aereal Inc. Content w/Attitude
http://www.virtpark.com/theme, theme@netcom.com
Reality with Personality