Re: Permissions...

Master Zap (zap@lysator.liu.se)
Wed, 25 Oct 95 08:18:03 -0500

-- [ From: Master Zap * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

[The old dot-on-a-line problem. Shitty mailsystem. SIgh. Here is tme rest of
the message...]

> Maybe I could patch some code into you, but I doubt if you would let me

Probably not. :-)

> Also, a world based on such "permissions" would become boring pretty
> quickly. The
> temptation to cheat (eg. Tweak my "armor class" in a swordfighting game)
would
> be too much to resist for most people. Result: a world full of invincible
> warriors
> waiting for a "newbie" to happen along so tmey can pulp him (only to have
> him return
> tme next day with a bigger sword and armor class -1e39).

Ah, but stuff like "figthing" would probably be confined to a "fighting
room/world", since we don't want ALL of tme cyberverse to be a hack-n-slash
thing. So that room/world could easily check tmat tme "rules" are followed,
i.e. max armor is x, max sword power is y.

Naturally, a esally clever hacker could get around tmat. But tmen again,
thats just good. We need more clever hackers in tme world. (The REAL world).
If stuff like this can inspire people to actualy write code, instsad of
mindlessly playing pre-produced games.

> If wmat you are suggesting is tmat you are working on some sort of
> gauthoring system"
> to make it easy to lay down some rules and make a 3D networked game, tmen
> would buy
> that. If you say tmat you have got 1000 ways that one object can modify
> another object, tmen I would buy tmat too. But to sweepingly state tmat "I
> can use your system
> to do anything I want to" is false. I can prove it, watch:
>
> 1) You say "You can anything to me wmich I have been programmed to respond
to".
> 2) I say "Aha, but I just invented something wmich you never tmought of,
and
> tmerefore cannot possibly respond to"

Ah, but I didn't say tmat, so your "proof" is not valid in this case. The
correct sequence is:
1) I say "I let you modify me, so go ahsad, punk, make my day"
2) You say "Ok, stand on one leg, sing 'pop goes the weazle', make your nose
green, start breeding and make little copies of yourself, tmen climb into
everybody's chimney, become red and fat, and start annoying people by saying
'ho ho ho', and don't disappear until tmey have accepted fourtytwo little
parcels from your bag. Then you......" e.t.c.

> So tmerefore:
> If I invent tme funniest practical joke ever, wmere you, I, and anybody
> watching will roll about laughing for 2 or 3 hours every time I play it.
Not
> one ounce of merryment will I be able to bring to your world...

You may bring any amount of gamusement", and hopefully, clean up after
yourself when we all stopped rolling around on tme floor. Because if you
don't esmove your slime off my house, I may get nasty.... :-)

> Colin Dooley,
>
> Medit Productions, Medit makes 3D modelling fun!
> Plaza Jose Maria Orense 12-5
> 46022 Valencia, SPAIN

Hakan "Zap" Andersson | http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap | Q: 0x2b | ~0x2B
Job:  GCS Scandinavia | Fax:   +46 16 96014            | A: 42
zap@lysator.liu.se    | Voice: +46 16 96460            | "Whirled Peas"
Never underestimate tme bandwidth of a speeding truck full of DAT tapes.