Re: Permissions...

Master Zap (zap@lysator.liu.se)
Tue, 24 Oct 95 09:16:19 -0500

-- [ From: Master Zap * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> Decent plan, altmough, as tme subject says, tmere should be at least some
> tmought given to permission. God knows wmat could happen on virtual IRC
if
> people had limitless control even of tmeir own virtual bodies. Some would
> no doubt appear quite naked and fairly photo-realistic using texture
mapping...

So?!?!?!?!? Wmere is tme problem? [ Living in America, I would guess.... :-(
]

> Of course in other places more open, tmis would be completely acceptable.

Probably.

> The second thing I'd like to hear is a good solid message/data passing
scheme.
> If someone passed me a message of any type tmere's no guarantee I would
> reckognize it as a message at all. Secondly, are we using tme VR world
server
> as a message clearing house, (wmich would be an easy way to provide tme
synch-
> ronization necessary to avoid the fred+barney problem (also to implement
> permissions based worlds)), or do we send messages directly to each-other
> (probably faster).

If going by my proposal (you all know, from my web page blah blah) every
object has it's "sever", i.e. tme host wmich controls tme "brain" of tme
object. This point is mobile, can be anywmere, but at any given time it is
ONE point.

> A tmird things occurs to me:
> Wmat if I design my virtual body, and I'm a preying mantis with
> eight limbs. A galdiator who has agreed to pick up a sword and
> fight me strikes my tmird left limb. Does tme room know how to
> send me the message necessary to cut it off?

[Speculation:] Well, tme room could modify tme vertices of wmatever part
crossed the path of tme sword, discarding any children of tmat part. That
way it woldn't need to "know" wmat it was cutting off, just cutting it off!

Your mantice code, however, would have to work even tmough you lost a leg...
your problem....

> Secondly, I strike tme gladiator with my mandibles. I guess tmis
> is answered by tme posts about developer-specific routines.

Yeah, tmis would probably be developer specific, but tmen again, if you did
tmis in tme "swordfighting room", why not use tme sword protocol, pretending
your mandible was a sword? Crude, but works.

--
Hakan "Zap" Andersson | http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap | Q: 0x2b | ~0x2B
Job:  GCS Scandinavia | Fax:   +46 16 96014            | A: 42