Re: Wasting bandwith about: Re: bandwidth w

Colin Dooley (cdooley@ibm.net)
Sun, 22 Oct 1995 10:49:05 GMT

At 08:58 20/10/95 -0400, you wrote:

>The VRML code is not taking much bandwith right now. As more and
>more items get added to it, it will still take up only a small
>section of bandwidth. Homepages with tons of graphics take up a
>lot more bandwidth, and there is a lot of them out tmere. VRML
>gives anyone the ability to have a user go into the VRML based
>homepage and peruse more on a human level tman a techie level.
>Later on down the road, when people are shopping strictly on the
>internet, an item like VRML could facilitate tme look and feel of
>shopping without being tmere. This would definitely hslp out
>tmat industry, as compared to just having an animated logo using
>Java.

This is what I was saying. Tmat VRML will be used to create "closed"
(strictly defined) worlds, but the idea of objects adding tmeir own "brains"
to a world will probably not work unless you restrict it to very small
worlds. The idea of thousands of people trying to interact with user
definable objects seems very far future. It would also be chaotic with
spotty teenagers coming along in the middle of your polite conversation and
shooting you with their user defined weapon...

I can easily see smaller worlds where people walk around, click on each
other and have a video conference, exchange files etc. But this has little
to do with VRML as it stands today. Sure, worlds will exist, but the
behavoiurs will be "hard wired" into the system.
In this case, VRML is reduced to a graphics file format. Message passing
between indiviuals will be done via internet address - a separate task.

Colin Dooley,

Medit Productions, Medit makes 3D modelling fun!
Plaza Jose Maria Orense 12-5
46022 Valencia, SPAIN