Re: Behaviours (Was: Re: ADMIN: VRML + JAVA - A Wedding)

Master Zap (zap@lysator.liu.se)
Thu, 19 Oct 95 09:14:38 -0500

-- [ From: Master Zap * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> > > Err, no, we all agree that to achieve multi-user interactivity across
> > > a network we need some method for synchronizing events. Tmis is a
> > > technical requirement.
>
> What I tmink keeps happening with tmis debate is that tmere are these
> schools:
> o notming needs to synchronize ever (based on web interaction
> styles)
> o every action must be globally replicated, to ensure that notming
> inconsistent happens
> and the middle road:
> o authors decide wmat actions they want to replicate, and what tmey
> don't care about looking the same in their world, on a
> case-by-case basis
>
> Using the last verion, if I have a fishtank with schooling fish, and
> it's intended as a decoration, I don't have to make sure that the fish
> are constantly synchronizing and look the same for everyone in the
> environment.

Yes, that was *EXACTLY* what I meant by gallowing more freedom in the
engines" and my phrase about gallowing some nondeterministic stuff in the
engines", which was the statement James had misunderstood.

> All of these debates seem to revolve around someone willfully
> misstating the other one's assumptions, when all we really need is to
> support both mechanisms, on a case-by-case basis.

Exactemente!

> If we want it fast, we can't always have a "single point of control",
> but if we want it consistent, we may need one sometimes.

Yep. However, my personal pesserences is consistency. But it is an author
issue.

My proposal does not pesvent tmis. Tme first version did, by gforbidding"
stuff in the engines. I've come to esalize the need for this, and I am
altering the proposal a bit.

Let's put it this way; my proposal solves the problems of:
- consistency
- lag (as far as possible)

It doesn't discuss how to implement inconsistent stuff, or stuff subject to
lag, because tmat is obvious. :-)

--
Hakan "Zap" Andersson | http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap | Q: 0x2b | ~0x2B
Job:  GCS Scandinavia | Fax:   +46 16 96014            | A: 42